It is my joy and privilege to welcome you to the Covenant University Chaplaincy. Covenant University is a Faith-based University founded on sound Biblical principles. This Department drives with passion the arrowhead of the core values this Jesus Varsity is known for, that is, spirituality. Raising a new Generation of Leaders is only truly possible by staying connected with the author of true Leadership, the Almighty God. Our focus in the Chaplaincy is to enable all make that connection and stay connected.
VISION, MISSION AND OBJECTIVES
In pursuance of the goal of raising a New Generation of Leaders, the Chaplaincy has set for itself the following objectives and guiding philosophies:
- Global Prominence:We plan to evolve a system that will position CU Chapel as one of the best Christian students’ fellowships in the world by investing maximally in spiritual exercises.
- Graduating Spiritually Sound Students: Our goal is to raise the spiritual standard of our students by generating in them a thirst for the word of God, prayer, fellowship, meditation etc since we understand that spiritual soundness translates to mental excellence.
- Community Impact: We intend to intensify our support and encouragement for outreach programmes by the students in order to allow the external community benefit from the impact of what God is doing in their lives.
- Corporate Culture: We shall intensify the corporate culture during all our chapel services to make all students truly see and believe in the royal nature that they possess as Kings and Queens in Hebron.
- Entrench Best Practices and Ethical Benchmarks: We thank God for the setting up of the Spiritual Resource Centre in the University library; many of our students are already patronizing the section. We plan to supply the University with more titles that will enhance the quality of the section. The aim of this approach is to promote the culture of best practice in student ministry.
COVENANT UNIVERSITY CHAPLAINCY
Covenant University has seven (7) Core Values, the arrowhead being Spirituality. The Chaplaincy is saddled squarely with the responsibility of heightening and sustaining the spiritual tone of the University amongst faculty, staff and students alike.
The Chaplaincy is headed spiritually by the Chancellor of the University, Dr. David Oyedepo. The University Chaplain carries out the day to day administrative tasks of the Department alongside his spiritual duties.
The line of reporting of the Chaplaincy is two-fold, spiritually to the Chancellor and administratively to the Vice-Chancellor and Registrar.
The Chaplaincy has a student arm headed by two (2) Student Chaplains, one male and one female each of them has an assistant. They report directly to the Chaplain. The Student Chaplains have direct oversight functions over the various Chapel Service Units which include:
- Contemporary Choir
- Classical Choir
- Ushering Unit
- Hospitality Unit
- Technical Unit
- Covenant University Theatre Group (CUTG)
- Reflections Dance Group
- Attendance Unit
- Evangelism Team
- Prayer Force
- Sanctuary Keepers
- Decoration Unit
- Communion Stewards
- Word Study Unit.
The Functions of the Chaplaincy
The Chaplaincy renders spiritual services to faculty, staff and students of the University as follows:
- Organizes and officiates at students’ Sunday worship service at the University Chapel.
- Organizes and officiates at the University Mid-week
Chapel services on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Renders spiritual counseling to faculty, staff and students.
- Organizes Cell Fellowship for the students and train Cell Leaders who officiate at Cell fellowships.
- Take oversight of the various Chapel services through the Chapel stewards.
- Provides spiritual support for the University’s specialized programs such as the Towards A Total Graduate (TTG) and Total Man Concept (TMC).
- Planning the Week of Spiritual Emphasis for the University community.
- Performs other functions as the University Management deems fit.
Sunday Morning Worship Services
There were two services for all the students which they attend on Hall basis. Five Halls attend the first service (7:00–9:30am) while the remaining five Halls attend the second service (10:00am– 12:30pm). Attendance is mandatory.
Mid-Week Chapel Services
The Mid-week Chapel program is to ensure that staff and students alike stay on fire during the week. The Tuesday Chapel service at 8:00am is for staff and 300 – 500 level students while the Thursday Chapel service at 8:00am is for staff and 100 & 200 level students.
Week of Spiritual Emphasis
This programme is organized once a session in the Omega semester. This a 3-day spiritual program of Word teachings, prayers ministrations and impartation. This programme is for both staff and students.
The Wednesday Cell Fellowship has been a great time of refreshing for all the students. The programme is coordinated by the students themselves and the testimonies from the various locations across the Halls of Residence have been heartwarming.
The Hebron Bible Foundation (HBF)
As part of efforts to enhance the spiritual life of our students, the Student’s Chaplaincy initiated a mini Bible School called Hebron Bible Foundation and makes it a prerequisite for becoming a member of any of the Chapel service Units. HBF has imparted greatly on those who have attended till date.
The Prayer/Evangelism Units also coordinate special prayer conferences which are times of corporate prayers and word impartation for staff and students alike.
Specialized Hall Prayer Conferences
These are special prayer meetings that hold on a Hall to Hall basis once or bi-weekly.
Hour of Destiny
A time of corporate daily prayer lasting one (1) hour when each student, as they have opportunity to attend, is left alone to pray for the University, their families, academics etc.
School of Champions
A time of leadership training which holds once or twice a month on Saturdays from 7-8.30am
Visit the chaplaincy website: chaplaincy.covenantuniversity.edu.ng