IROHAM Chukwuemeka Osmond
Dr. Associate Professor PhD, M.Sc, B.Sc (Est. Mgt), FNIVS, RSV, AMNIM, MAfRES, MISDS, FRHD, FCAI
The Department of Estate Management offers a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Honours Degree in Estate Management. The Department was established at Covenant University’s inception in 2002 because the founding fathers of the University realises that one, a developing country like Nigeria needs estate surveyors and valuers to assist in providing managing and carrying out improvements on buildings and infrastructure on one hand while at the same time expand urban property markets. Second, that only few Universities in the whole of Nigeria presently offer the Estate Management Course while many young graduates of Estate Management are mainly interested in practice. Third, that there is a need to create an atmosphere for the development of the total man via the vehicle of education and pioneering mental productivity to produce a new generation of leaders and solution providers. Through this approach, the University has been able to raise leaders in the area of supervision, management and control of interests in landed property through education, training and research with total commitment to marketability, truthfulness, entrepreneurship and fear of God. This will be achieved through an infusion of students with the seven core values of Covenant University: Spirituality, Integrity, Possibility Mentality, Responsibility, Diligence, Sacrifice and Capacity Building so as to give hope of good leadership qualities in graduates.
Our mission as a Department is to lead the real estate industry into the 21st century by providing benefits, services and education to real estate licensees. Students will be given opportunities to invest and to serve in many ways by going through courses in Building Construction, Town Planning, Land Law, Economics, Land Economics, Land Surveying. Introduce students to new dimensions of self reliance through two University wide courses, namely, Entrepreneurial Development Studies (EDS) and Total Man Concept (TMC). These would make the graduates job creators rather than job seekers and leaders fit spiritually, mentally balanced, emotionally stable and physically sound.
Philosophy and Objectives
Vision of the Department
The vision of the Department is to be the centre of academic excellence in the training of future estate surveyors and valuers, and re-training of practitioners in the estate surveying and valuation profession in Nigeria and across the world.
Goal and Objectives
The aim of the Department is to become world class institution of learning in the training of future and practising estate surveyors and valuers. In attaining this goal, the following objectives are vigourously pursued:
- To produce skilled and competent professional in real estate surveying and valuation.
- To ensure that our students become employers of labour (not long after graduation) rather than being employees.
- To inculcate in the students the honesty, diligence, spirituality, possibility mentality and all the virtue that will ensure that they avoid all vices and traces of corruption and unethical issues in real estate marketing.
- To engage and retain quality Faculty and staff from across the world.
Strategies for Achieving the Objectives
In achieving each of the objectives, the following are the line of action to follow:
- To ensure competent professionals with deep understanding of the various aspects of real estate surveying and valuation, the curriculum is structured to sharpen students imaginative solutions that are not only technically proficient but that are cotemporary in nature.
- The approach to attaining Objective 2 is to start with quality teaching and impartation of knowledge of professional practice which many of the lecturers have acquired before joining the University. This will assist the students become professionally qualified such that they will establish their firms and companies within the shortest time possible. Students are also exposed to industrial training that lasts six months before graduation.
- In attaing the third objective, students are taught the basics operations and strategies that professionals adopt in practice and made to understanding the unethical activities and how to avoid them in practice. This is coupled with the university’s core values that students imbibe while in School.
- Experienced and quality lecturers are recruited and retained, no matter their race, colour or sex. Staff development through in-house and overseas training and are encourged to enhance academic qualification and performance.
To contribute to the housing policy and development in Nigeria and the world through effective Land Administration, Housing Finance, Legal and Regulatory Framework, Skill and Capacity Building, Building Materials, and Appropriate Design and Technology in the interest of all and sundry.
Research & Development
Real estate management is multi-dimensional and encompasses land resource management, environmental studies, estate agency, property management, facilities management property development and appraisal. The various aspects of the discipline exhibit thin gaps between them and often overlap with other fields like economics, law, construction, finance, transportation, environmental design, planning and management.
The research focus of the Department therefore gives wide room to researchers within the several fields and aspects. The strategy is to structure a curriculum that seeks to produce professionals with multi-disciplinary perception of the built environment and who are capable of proferring solutions to solving the various challenges confronting the built environment.
Linkages and Collaborations
(i) Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers
(ii) Estate Surveyors and Valuers Registration Board of Nigeria.
(iii) African Real Estate Society (West Africa)
Candidates seeking admission into the Programme must have obtained at least credit passes in five (5) subjects in the SSCE/GCE/NECO or their equivalent at not more than two sittings. The five (5) credit level passes must include English Language, Mathematics and Economics and any other two (2) subjects, one (1) of which must be a science subject selected from Physics, Chemistry, Biology, while the other subject must be Geography or Technical Drawing/Building Construction. Candidates are also expected to sit for the JAMB Examination and attain the prescribed cut-off marks.
In addition, Covenant University conducts a screening exercise for all candidates seeking admission into the University and applicants may not be admitted without fulfilling the demands of the screening exercise.