Dr OLAYINKA OYEWALE AJANI
B.Sc (Ife), M.Sc (Ife), Ph.D (Covenant University), MICCON, MCSN, MACS
Organic Synthesis and Medicinal Chemistry
- Over ten years of research experience in organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry.
- Successfully designed and synthesized bioactive quinoxaline derivatives using microwave irradiation technique as a green approach.
- Successfully synthesized potential ligands and metal complexes with promising antimicrobial versatilities.
- Expertise in chromatographic purification, spectral characterization, process research and scale-up operations.
- Experience in derived and utilized structure activity relationships (SAR) to improve the efficacy of drug candidates.
- Experienced in designing and executing multi-steps synthesis of various bio-active molecules.
- Working knowledge of most of the chemical databases and software in structural elucidation.
Awards & Honours
(1) German DAAD Fellowship for short Research Stay for Research Scientists (2015)
(2) Merit Award as the Outstanding Lecturer in Final Year Lecture Delivery in Chemistry (2015).
(3) TWAS Research Grant Award to individual scientists in Basic Sciences FR Number: 14069RG/CHE/AF/AC_1; UNESCO FR: 324028564 (2015).
(4) Certificate of Recognition as Top Cited Author in Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Year 2010-2011, by Elsevier Publishing, Netherland (2012).
(5) Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Research Achievement, Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing (2011).
(6) Cash Award for Publishing Scientific Research in Journal with High Impact Factor (2010).
(7) Award of 2009 CAS-TWAS Postgraduate Fellowship Award FR Number: 3240223239 (2009).
(8) Best Class Adviser, Department of Chemistry Covenant University 2012.
(9) Best Examination Officer, Department of Chemistry Covenant University (2009).
(10) Best Class Adviser, Department of Chemistry Covenant University 2008.
Organic Chemistry, theory and practical as well as General Chemistry at all levels of undergraduate study.
- CHM 121 – General Organic Chemistry
- CHM 129 – Experimental Chemistry II
- CHM 119 – Experimental Chemistry I
- CHM 221 – Basic Organic Chemistry
- CHM 228 – Experimental Organic Chemistry I
- CHM 312 – Organic Chemistry
- CHM 313 – Experimental Organic Chemistry II
- CHM 412 – Seminar
- CHM 418 – Natural Product Chemistry
- CHM 433 – Wood, Pulp and Paper Chemistry
- CHM 426 – Pulp and Paper Technology
- CHM 818 – Synthetic Organic Chemistry
- CHM 827 – Organic Reaction Mechanism
- CHM 884 – Paints and Adhesives
- CHM 911 - Advanced Applied Spectroscopy
Current Postgraduate Supervision
Selected Publications (36)
Ajani, O.O., Germann M.W., Iyaye K.T., Bello B.L. and Olorunshola S.J. (2017). Microwave assisted synthesis of N’-(Alkanylidene)-2propylquinoline-4-carbohydrazide derivatives and their antimicrobial potential. Proceeding of 7th International Conference on Advances in Applied Science and Environmental Engineering. GTower Hotel, Kualar Lumpur Malaysia, 1st to 2nd of July, 2017.
Webinar Conference on “Dynamic Nuclear Polarization in the study of pharmaceuticals” on Wednesday 26th July, 2017 at Bruker BioSpin Corporation, Madison, USA.
Ajani O.O., Tolu-Bolaji O.O., Zhao Y. and Aderohunmu, D.V. (2017). Eco-friendly synthesis and spectral study of novel series of 2-substituted benzimidaz- ole derivatives. Oral presentation at the South-West Zonal Conference of the Chemical Society of Nigeria (CSN), Held at New Mass Communication Building of the MAPOLY, Ojere, Abeokuta on Thursday 18th of May to Saturday 20th of May, 2017.
Lecture Presentation titled “Computer-Aided Active Site Analysis for Target Assessment” by Dr. Adrea Volkamer, on Monday 20th January 2014 at Institute of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Philipps Universität, Hessen, Germany.
Conference on “Mobile infrared spectrometry on polymeric materials: Qualification, verification and counterfeit detection” held on Tuesday 24th of September, 2013 at The boulevard, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxford OX5, 1GB. Elsevier in association with Agilent Technologies.
Workshop on the High Performance Computing with marc2 held at University Computer Centre (Lahnberge), Hans-Meer-Wein Strasse, Marburg, Germany on Wednesday 19th of June, 2013.
Global Bioprocessing Webinar on Leveraging Sample Bioprocessing Strategies in Translational Medicine to Advance Product Discovery and Development, Held at BioStorage Technologies, Indianapolis, USA on 25th of April, 2013.
Leadership and Corporate Performance 2011: A Leadership Business Breakfast Meeting. Held at Covenant University Guest House on Tuesday 20th of December, 2011.
2010 TWAS Frontier in Water and Sanitation: A Workshop for Water Engineers and Scientists from Developing Countries. Held in Beijing from 16th to 21st of August, 2010.
Obafemi, C.A., Oyenekan, M.B., Ajani, O.O. (2004). Microwave Assisted Approach to Environment-friendly Synthesis of Organic Compounds. Nigeria Society of Environmental Management Conference Paper. Held in OAU, Ile-ife, Osun State November 2004.
Summary of Profile
Dr. Ajani has a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry where he is engaged in: synthetic modification of polyfunctionalized molecules, designing of highly expeditious pathway towards preparation of various bioactive nitrogen and sulphur containing heterocyclic compounds, utilization of various cross coupling strategies to achieve targeted novel sulphonamides as scaffolds of high pharmacological relevance, engaging cutting-edge approach for purification of novel synthesized compounds, expertise in small molecule drug discovery and development process via microwave assisted organic synthetic (MAOS) approach.