Dr OPEYEMI AKINYEMI
Ph.D, MSc., BSc. (Economics)
Energy Economics (Energy Policy and Environmental Management)
Awards & Honours
Grants and Awards
1. Travel grant and stipend from the Global Development Network to attend the 15th Annual Global Development Conference, Accra, Ghana 18-20 June, 2014.
2. Travel grant and stipend from the Trade Policy Training Center in Africa to attend the 10th Annual TRAPCA Conference, Arusha, Tanzania 19-20 November, 2015.
3. Research grant for Ph.D thesis from Covenant University Centre for Research and Development, 2015.
4. Grant from Covenant University to attend Computable General Equilibrium workshop at Centre for Petroleum, Energy Economics and Law (CPEEL), University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria. 2015.
5. Travel grant and stipend from the Africa Development Bank to attend the 2016 African Economic Conference, Abuja, Nigeria 5-7 December, 2016.
6. Research grant from ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency to conduct research on “Household Energy Expenditures and Income Groups: A Gender Analysis from Nigeria” (with Efobi Uchenna), 2016
7. Research grant of $30,000 from Uongozi Institute (Institute of African Leadership for Sustainable Development) to conduct research on “Green Industralization in Nigeria and Ghana: Extents and Impact from a Quasi-Experiment” (with 5 others), 2017
8. Overall best graduating student (Masters Category), Covenant University, Ota. 2012
9. Best graduating student (Masters Class), Department of Economics, Covenant University, Ota. 2012
10. Best student in Commercial class, Faith Academy, Ota. 2004/2005 set
11. Best student in Commerce, Faith Academy, Ota. 2004/2005 set
Theories of Growth and Development
Theory and Principles of Macroeconomics and Microeconomics
Mathematics for Economists
Selected Publications (9)
2017 1st Covenant University International Conference on Entrepreneurship (CU-ICE) titled “Entrepreneurship and the Knowledge Economy” held June 12-14, 2017 at Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria. Member, Conference Organising Committee
2016 African Economic Conference titled “Feeding Africa: Towards Agro-Allied Industrialization for Inclusive Growth” held December 5-7, 2016 at Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja, Nigeria. Paper Presented was titled “Agricultural Sector Performance and Nigeria’s Fuel Subsidy Removal: A CGE Simulation”.
2016 19th Annual Conference on Global Economic Analysis titled “Analytical Foundations for Cooperation in a Multipolar World” held June 15-17, 2016 at The World Bank, Washington DC, USA. Paper Presented was titled “Energy Pricing Policy and Environmental Quality in Nigeria: A CGE Approach”.
2016 1st Nigeria Energy Forum titled “Sustainable Energy for all Nigerians: Grand Challenges, Big Opportunities” held April 12-13, 2016 at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria. Paper Presented was titled “Household Energy Expenditure and Income Groups: A Gender Analysis from Nigeria”.
2015 10th TRAPCA Annual Trade Conference titled “Energy as a Determinant of Competitiveness” held November 19-20, 2015 at ESAMI, Arusha, Tanzania. Paper Presented was titled “Energy Security, Trade and the Transition to Green Economy in Africa”.
2015 2nd Covenant University-International Conference on African Development Issues (CU-ICADI) titled “Biotechnology, ICT, Materials and Renewable Energy: Potential Catalyst for African Development held May 11-13, 2015 at African Leadership Development Centre, Covenant University, Ota.
Paper Presented was titled “Energy Security and the Green Growth Agenda in Africa: Synergies and Trade-offs”.
2014 15th Global Development Network (GDN) Conference titled “Structural Transformation in Africa and Beyond” held June 18-20th, 2014 at the Accra International Conference Centre, Accra, Ghana.
Participant and Poster Exhibitor of paper titled “An Appraisal of the Environmental Implications of Fuel Subsidy in Nigeria”.
2014 1st Covenant University International Conference on African Development Issues titled “Rising Opportunity for Investor’s in Africa and the Prospect of an Economic Miracle” held May 5-6th, 2014 at the African Leadership Development Centre, Covenant University, Canaanland, Ota.
2014 7th Annual NAEE/IAEE (Nigerian Association for Energy Economics/International Association for Energy Economics) International Conference on “Energy Access for Economic Development: Policy, Institutional Frameworks and Strategic Options” at Sheraton Hotel, Abuja. 16th – 18th, 2014.
Paper Presented: Akinyemi, O., Ogundipe, A. and Alege, P. (2014), “Energy Supply and Climate Change in Nigeria”.
2013 National Model United Nations (NMUN) Conference, Sheraton New York and United Nations Building New York, USA, 17th – 21st March, 2013.
German delegate on the Model United Nations (UN) Security Council Committee for Peace and Security.
2011 Nigerian Economic Society 52nd Annual Conference on “Planning and the Transformation of the Nigerian Economy” at Covenant University, Ota. 13th – 15th September, 2011.