Prof Taiwo Olubunmi Abioye
Professor of English (Stylistics and Applied Linguistics)
Ph.D, M.A., B.Ed.,
Literary and Discourse Stylistics
Awards & Honours
2010: ISA grant for 2010 World Congress, Gothenburg, Sweden.
1982: Department of English Prize for Best Graduating Student in English. Borno State, Advanced Teachers’ College, Maiduguri.
1982: Flora Waziri Prize for Philosophy of Education. Borno State Advanced Teachers’ College, Maiduguri.
1976: Certificate of Merit as member, Students’ Representative Council. BTC, Bauchi.
Selected Publications (18)
2. 2000: “Language Problems and Teaching Strategies for Remedial Instruction in the JSS”. Paper presented as a Resource Person at the St. Bartholomew Schools, Wusasa- Zaria. 27-28 January.
3. 2000: “Towards a more realistic Education of the Girl-Child”. Paper presented at the 2nd NAWACS International Conference, University of Abuja, Gwagwalada, Nigeria, 5th – 10th September.
4. 2002: “Improving Interactive Teaching and Writing”. Paper presented at the RAN Workshop for Teachers, TRADOC, Minna. 20-22 November.
5. 2006a: Abioye, T. O. & Simpson, A. “Pentecostal Language as an Emerging Trend in Conflict resolution within the Yoruba Family Setting in Nigeria”, Paper presented at the 2nd National Conference on the Family. Benue State University, Makurdi. 12 -15 March.
6. 2006b: “Language Testing in Large Classes”. Paper Presented at the College of Human Development Workshop on “Trends in English Language Learning, Teaching & Testing”. Covenant University, Ota. 2-4, November.
7. 2006c:“Teaching Reading Comprehension”. Paper Presented at the College of Human Development Workshop on “Trends in English Language Learning, Teaching &Testing”. Covenant University, Ota. 2-4, November.
8. 2007a: “Language, Style and the Contribution of Rhetorical Questions to Media Messages”. Paper presented at College of Human Development Seminar Series, Covenant University, Ota. 22 April.
9. 2007b: Language Implications of Media Literacy (as Communication) through Book Development in Nigeria. Paper Presented at 5th Pan-African Conference, University of Ghana, Legon. August 6-10.
10. 2007c. A Discourse Analysis of Language of Communication in Child Welfare Clinics, in South-Western Nigeria. Paper presented at the African Council for Communication Educators (ACCE) Conference, ABU, Zaria. Sept 4-8.
11. 2008: Perception of Undergraduate Newspaper Readers on the Role of the Media in Literacy Development. Paper Presented at First RAN Mid- Term Conference, Conference Centre, University of Ibadan. 9-13 October.
12. 2010: Emerging Paradigms in Digital Discourse: A Stylistic Analysis of Short Messaging Systems in Nigeria. Paper presented at Nigeria English Studies Association (NESA) Conference, Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED), Ijebu- Ode. Jan. 17-19.
13. 2010: Stylistic Symmetry in Short Messaging Systems in Nigeria. Paper Presented at ISA World Congress 2010 Gothenburg, Sweden. July 11-17. Session 7: New Language Forms in Computer –Mediated Communication.
14. 2012: Discourse Mapping of Online Feature Articles, Editorials and Headlines on Fuel Subsidy Removal in Nigeria. Paper Presented at the Language, Literature and Communication in the Globalised & Digital Age Conference, OAU, Ile-Ife. Aug. 20-23.