Professor Shalom Chinedu
B.Sc. (Hons.) ASUTECH, M.Sc. Benin, Ph.D. Lagos
Metabolic Syndrome, Public Health, Antimicrobial, Enzyme Technology and Molecular Biology.
Awards & Honours
1.Graduate Fellowship Award, University of Lagos, Nigeria, 2003-2006
2.Best Researcher Award in the College of Medicine, University of Lagos, 2006.
Biomolecules, Enzymology, Protein and Enzyme Chemistry, Molecular genetics, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Clinical Biochemistry.
Current Postgraduate Supervision
2. Emiloju, Opeyemi (Ph.D).
3. Franklyn Iheagwam (Ph.D).
4. Famakinwa, Tolulope O., Ph.D.
5. Amatefe George D., Ph.D.
6. Ayodeji, Lemo O., Ph.D.
Selected Publications (65)
2. 35th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Covenant University, Ota. November 1 – 4, 2016.
Experimental Biology (EB – 2017) Conference, Convention Center, San Diego, USA, April 2–6, 2016.
3. Annual Conference of Consortium of Universities for Global Health, Hilton hotel, San Francisco, United States of America (USA), April 8 – 11, 2016.
4. Experimental Biology (EB – 2016) Conference, Convention Center, San Diego, USA, April 2–6, 2016.
5. Chinedu S.N., Emiloju O.C., Ogunlana O.O., Azuh D.E. and Onyegeme-Okerenta B.M. (2015). Association between Age, Gender and Body Weight in a Nigerian Community, 14th World Congress of Public Health, Kolkata, India, February 11 – 15, 2015. Brochure, pp. 72.
6. Odukoya J.A., Alao A., Chinedu S.N., Wogu P., Olowookere E., and Evbuoma K. (2014). Quality Assurance Practice in a Private University: Covenant University Experience, 7th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation [iCERi] Seville - 17th-19th November 2014.
7. Omotosho O., Chinedu S., Omotosho T. and Okonjo K. (2014). Reactivities of the sulphydryl groups of horse (Equus caballus) haemoglobin. The FASEB Journal, 28 (1) Supplement 1013.11http://www.fasebj.org/content/28/1_Supplement/1013.11
8. Rotimi, S., Rotimi, O., Omotosho, E., Iyanda-Joel, W. and Chinedu, S. (2014). In silico Assessment of Antihypertensive Potential of Sweet Proteins (LB542). The FASEB Journal, 28 (1) Supplement LB542. http://www.fasebj.org/content/28/1_Supplement/LB542.short
9. Omotosho, O.E., Okonjo, K.O., Omotosho, V.T. Rotimi, S.O. and Chinedu, S.N. (2013). Tertiary conformational transition in horse haemoglobin induced by inositol Hexakisphosphate. The FASEB Journal. 2013; 27:1050.1. http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/27/1_MeetingAbstracts/1050.1?sid=e8fafc20-f0a5-48c3-86d3-00d38807e36e
9. Olasehinde, G.I., Ogunlana, O.O., Chinedu, S.N., Iweala, E.E.J., Afolabi, I.S. and Azuh, D.E. (2013). Incidence of Plasmodium falciparum infection in asymptomatic rural Nigerian populations. 6th MIM Pan-African Malaria Conference, Cape Town, South Africa, October 6-11, 2013. http://mim2013.mrc.ac.za/BoAposter_final.pdf
10. Chinedu, S.N. and Eboji, O.K. (2012). Trends in Growth and Weight Abnormalities of School Children and Adolescents in Ota, Southwest Nigeria. 13th World Congress on Public Health, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 23-27 April 2012. Brochure, pp 58. https://wfpha.confex.com/wfpha/2012/webprogram/Paper9049.html
11. Chinedu, S. N. and Azuh, D.E. (2012). Primary health care (PHC), maternal and child mortality in Nigeria: issues and implications. European Population Conference (EPC) 2012, Stockholm, Sweden, June 13–16, 2012. http://epc2012.princeton.edu/download.aspx?submissionId=120851
12. Chinedu, S.N., Fatumo, S.A., Adebiyi, E.F. (2010). In-Silico studies of essential metabolic reactions of Trypanosoma brucei: identifying potential drug targets. Proceedings of the International Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics and Chemoinformatics (BCBGC-10) Orlando, Florida, USA, July 12-14, 2010. (Eds.) Mukesh Doble, WilliamLoging, ZhirongSun. ISRST. ISBN: 978-1-60651-017-9 pp. 31-36. http://toc.proceedings.com/09926webtoc.pdf
13. Onyegeme-Okerenta B.M., Okochi V.I., Ebuehi A.O., Okafor U. A. and Chinedu S.N. (2009). Antithrombic and antibacterial activities of extracts of P. chrysogenum (PCL 501) grown on agrowastes. The FASEB Journal 23: 535.1 http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/23/1_MeetingAbstracts/535.1?sid=6e814c86-3297-440f-9f25-fa07b0002aaf
14. Dike I.P., Omonhinmin A.C., Adebiyi, E. F., Eni A.O., Chinedu, S.N., Ibikunle F., Ekwejobi I., Ogunlana O.O. (2009). In-Silico Analysis of Prospective African Strains of Algae for Bio-Diesel Production, 17th Annual international conference on the Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB) and 8th European Conference on Computational Biology (ECCB), Stockholm, Sweden, 27th June – 2nd July 2009. http://www.iscb.org/ismbeccb2009/poster_list.php
15. Eni A.O, Dike I.P, Omonhinmin A.C, Chinedu S.N., Ogunlana O.O, Fatumo S.A, Adebiyi E.F. and Adebayo A. (2009). In-silico development of PCR primers for detection of endogenous para-retroviruses & episomal viral sequences. 17th Annual international conference on the Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB) and 8th European Conference on Computational Biology (ECCB), Stockholm, Sweden, 27th June – 2nd July 2009 (Poster). http://www.iscb.org/ismbeccb2009/poster_list.php
16. Chinedu S., Omonhinmin A, Dike I, Omotosho O, Osamor V, Oyelade O. and Adebiyi E. (2008). Species Level Characterization of Thaumatococcus daniellii: Re-evaluating Morphological evidences via In-Silico Studies. Proceedings of International Society for Computational Biology, ISMB conference, Toronto, Canada. July 18 - 23, 2008. http://www.compsysbio.org/lab/ismb2008/ISMB2008/Delegate.pdf
17. Chinedu, S. N. (2013). Body Weight Abnormality Pattern and Its Determinants in Ota, Nigeria. 37th Annual Conference of Parasitology and Public Health Society of Nigeria (PPSN), University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria, September 17 - 20, 2013.
18. Chinedu, S.N., Oluwadamisi, A.Y., Popoola, S.T. and Epelle, T. (2012). Thaumatococcus Daniellii fruit: Constituents, Potentials and prospects. 32nd Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Calabar, Nigeria. November 14-17, 2012. Book of Abstracts, pp 8.
19. Chinedu, S.N. and Umeaghadi, M.S. (2012). Polygalacturonase Activity of Carica papaya, Citrus sinensis and Musa acuminata Fruits. 32nd Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Calabar, Cross Rivers State, Nigeria. November 14-17, 2012. Book of Abstracts, pp 52.
20. Chinedu, S.N. and Daramola, O.A. (2011). Cellulase Activity of Ripening Fruits of Carica papaya, Citrus sinensis and Musa spp. 31st Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria. October 31st – November 3rd 2011. Book of Abstracts, pp 2.
21. Chinedu, S.N. Dania, D.I. Arinola, O.K., Jubreel, D.O. and Alabi, O.A. (2011). Obesity, overweight and underweight among young adults in Ota, Southwest, Nigeria. 11th Annual Scientific Conference and General Meeting of the Nigerian Society of Experimental Biology (NISEB), University of Lagos. March 28 – 31, 2011. Book of Abstracts, pp 86-87.
22. Chinedu, S.N. Olasumbo, A.C., Eboji, O.K., Emiloju, O.C., Arinola, O.K. and Dania, D.I. (2011). Nutritional and Phytochemical Constituents of Solanum aethiopicum L. and Solanum Macrocarpon L. fruits. 11th Annual Scientific Conference and General Meeting of the Nigerian Society of Experimental Biology (NISEB), University of Lagos. March 28 – 31, 2011. Book of Abstracts, pp 111.
23. Umeaghadi, M.S. and Chinedu, S.N. (2010). Biotechnology: Tool for disinheriting Africa? Book of Proceedings, 2nd International Biotechnology Symposium, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria, March 23-26, 2010. pp. 57-59.
24. Ayangbemi J. A., Adeniyi I. A., Eni A. I. and Chinedu S. N. (2009). Optimization of Cellulolytic Microfungi for Bioremediation and Waste Management. Book of Abstracts, 1st International Biotechnology Symposium, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria. April 28 – 30, 2009. Book of Abstracts, p 36.
25. Omonhinmin A.C., I.P. Dike, P.C. Ekenna, E.F. Adebiyi, S. N. Chinedu, O.O. Omotosho, A.O. Eni. (2009). In-silico prediction and analyses of anti-fungal PR-5 thaumatin-like proteins in Thaumatococcus daniellii. 1st International Biotechnology Symposium, 28th – 30th April 2009, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria 2009. Book of Abstracts, pp. 28.
26. Chinedu S. N., Okafor U. A. and Okochi V. I. (2009). Pectinolytic Activity of Wild Strains of Microfungi Fermented on Agro-wastes. Book of Abstracts, 1st International Biotechnology Symposium, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria. April 28-30, 2009. Book of Abstracts, p 35.
27. Onyegeme-Okerenta M.B., Okochi V.I. and Chinedu S.N. (2009). Potentials of Agro-Wastes as Fermentation Substrates for Antibiotics Production by Penicillium chrysogenum. Book of Abstracts, 1st International Biotechnology Symposium, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria. April 28 – 30, 2009. Book of Abstracts, p 16.
28. Chinedu, S.N., Fatumo, S.A. and Adebiyi, E.F. (2009). Identifying Potential Drug Targets against Trypanosoma brucei by In-silico Studies of Essential Metabolic Reactions. 29th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria. December 6 – 9, 2009. Book of Abstracts, p.111.
29. Abolaji O, Odesanmi O. S., Chinedu S.N., Adebayo A.H. and Ogunlana O.O. (2007). Effects of combinations of ethanolic extracts of blighia sapida and xylopia aethiopica on progesterone, estradiol and lipid profile levels in pregnant rabbits. Book of Abstracts, 27th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal university of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), Nigeria. November 6 – 9, 2007. p 64.
30. Chinedu, S.N., Okochi, V.I., Okafor, U.A., Onyegeme-Okerenta, M.B. and Omidiji O. (2006). Media and Enzyme Production at low-cost. Poster, Second Annual Research Conference and Fair, University of Lagos, June, 2006.
31. Chinedu, S.N., Okochi, V.I., Smith, H.A. and O. Omidiji (2005). Cellulase Production by wild strain of Penicillium chrysogenum cultured on Corncob, Sawdust and Sugarcane pulp. 25th Annual Conference of Nigeria Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Lagos, Nigeria. November 15 – 18, 2005. Book of Abstracts, pp 22 – 23.
32. Chinedu, S.N., Okochi V.I., Smith H.A., and Omidiji O. (2005). Scheme for Bioconversion of Cellulosic Biomass into Valuable Products. Nigerian Universities Research and Development fair, Abuja, Nigeria. December 5-9, 2005.
33. Chinedu, S. N., Okochi, V. I., Smith, H. A. and Omidiji O. (2005). Isolation of Cellulolytic Microfungi: Prospects for Bioconversion of Cellulosic Biomass. 1st Annual Research Conference & Fair, University of Lagos, October, 2005. Book of Abstracts, p 7–8.
Summary of Profile
Professor Chinedu, a seasoned academic and researcher, has been actively engaged in teaching, research, mentoring, and community service in the University since 1992. He has supervised numerous undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations and theses and made breakthrough contributions in the area of solid waste bioconversion, cellulolytic enzyme production, and characterization of African protein sweeteners. His research findings in such areas as natural antimicrobials, body weights and health implications, and African food plants of medicinal value have been presented on several public and global health platforms.
Professor Chinedu is the leader of “Covenant University Public Health and Well-being Research Group (CUPHWERG), an interdisciplinary research cluster, working with local Council authorities to raise the health and living standards of local communities. CUPHWERG has, through vibrant, life-applicable research and services in the area of public health and nutrition, impacted communities and assisted local health authorities and PHCs to improve healthcare delivery services to the people. The group’s current efforts are targeted at reducing child & maternal mortality, nutritional- & body weight-related health problems, and cosmetic-induced skin diseases. The group is also involved in consultative and collaborative activities with several health agencies, food, drug and cosmetic industries.
Professor Chinedu belongs to several professional bodies and has published several research articles in reputable peer-reviewed journals and presented papers at local and international conferences/symposia.