Dr Angela Eni
B. Sc. (UNN, Nigeria), PhD (WITS, South Africa)
Epidemiology and molecular characterization of viruses infecting important tropical crops and development of rapid, sensitive and cost-effective diagnostics for these viruses.
Awards & Honours
- Research Grant (West African Virus Epidemiology (WAVE) for root and tuber crops, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), 2015 - 2017
- AWARD Fellowship, African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD). 2015 –2016.
- Post-doctoral Fellowship, National Research Foundation, South Africa (2012-2013).
- Travel Grant awarded by the Company of Biologist (COB) to attend the Society for Experimental Biology Food Safety and Security Symposium Lancaster, UK (2010).
- PhD Research Fellowship awarded by the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) under the Gatsby Charitable Foundation UK Project GAT2261 (2004-2008).
- Award for Recognition of Outstanding Performance in three consecutive years (2001-2003), International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, (IITA) Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria (2003).
- Meritorious and Outstanding Service Award, Oyo State National Youth Service Corps (1999).
- MCB 714: Microbial Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- MCB 715: Immunobiology and Immunochemistry
- MCB 721: Introduction to Virology
- MCB 813: Biostatistics, Research Methods and Experimental Design
- MCB 815: Advanced Immunology and Virology
- MCB 822: Microbial Genetics and Biotechnology
- MCB 825: Soil and Plant Microbiology
- MCB 913: Environmental Biotechnology
- MCB 922: Rapid Microbiological Methods (RMM) and Emerging Technologies
- MCB 222: Techniques in Virology
- MCB 316: Immunology
- MCB 413: Microbial Genetics
- MCB 414: Virology
- MCB 417: Research Methods in Microbiology
- MCB 423: Medical Entomology (Arboviruses)
Selected Publications (16)
2. Oyeleke O. O. Rotimi S. O. and A. O. Eni (2015). Immunomodulatory effects of Lactobacillus spp. and leaf extract of Moringa oleifera Lam on Wister albino rats challenged with Escherichia coli. 2nd Covenant University International Conference on African Development Issues (CU-ICADI). 11th -13th May 2015, Covenant University Ota, Nigeria, pp 366
3. Eni A. O., R. Mundembe and MEC Rey (2013). South African Cassava mosaic virus AC1/AC4 mismatched hairpin transgene reduces SACMV symptoms in transgenic cassava. 18th Biennial Conference of the South African Society of Microbiology (SASM), 24-27 November, 2013, Bela Bela, South Africa.
4. Eni, A. O., J. d’A. Hughes and M. E. C Rey (2013). Status of viruses infecting yam in West Africa. In: Book of abstracts, 12th International Plant Virus Epidemiology Symposium, 28th January - 1st February 2013, Arusha, Tanzania, pp 228.
5. Eni, A. O., J. d’A. Hughes, R. Asiedu and M. E. C Rey (2012). Evaluation of Yam Mosaic Virus (YMV) detection methods. 12th Annual Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Society for Experimental Biology (NISEB) 14th-17th March 2012. University of Benin, Nigeria.
6. Eni, A. O., Dike, I. P., Omonhinmin A. C. and Fasasi D. K. (2011).Molecular detection of two Begomoviruses infecting cassava in Southern Nigeria. In: Proc. 11th Annual Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Society for Experimental Biology (NISEB) 28th -31st March 2011. University of Lagos, Nigeria.
7. Eni A. O., J. d’A Hughes and M. E. C. Rey (2010) Production of polyclonal antibodies for the detection of a yam isolate of Cucumber mosaic virus (CMV). In: Proc. 45th Annual Conference of the Science Association of Nigeria (SAN) 23rd – 27th May 2010. Niger Delta University Wilberforce Island Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
8. Eni A. O., Fasasi D. K., Oyelade O. O. and Duru A. C. (2010) Molecular detection of two groups of viruses infecting cultivated crops and associated weeds in Anambra, Delta, Edo, and Ondo states in Nigeria. In: Proc. 2nd International Biotechnology Symposium, 23th – 26th March 2010, Covenant University Ota, Nigeria, pp 44-45.
9. Eni, A. O, Dike, I. P, Omonhinmin A. C, Chinedu, S. N, Ogunlana, O. O, Fatumo, S. A, Adebiyi and E. F, Adebayo A. (2009). In-silico development of PCR primers for detection of endogenous pararetroviruses & episomal viral sequences. 17th Annual international conference on the Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB) and 8th European Conference on Computational Biology (ECCB) 27th June-2nd July 2009 Stockholm, Sweden 2009 http://www.iscb.org/ismbeccb2009/poster_list.php?cat=D
10. Dike, I. P, A. C. Omonhinmin, E. F. Adebiyi, A. O. Eni, S. N. Chinedu, F. Ibikunle, I. Ekwejobi and O.O. Ogunlana (2009) In-silico analysis of prospective African strains of algae for bio-diesel production. 17th Annual international conference on the Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB) and 8th European Conference on Computational Biology (ECCB) 27th June-2nd July 2009 Stockholm, Sweden 2009 http://www.iscb.org/ismbeccb2009/poster_list.php?cat=J
11. Eni, A. O., J. d’A. Hughes, R. Asiedu and M. E. C Rey (2009). Production of ascetic fluid (monoclonal antibodies) for detection of yam mosaic virus. In: Proc. 1st International Biotechnology Symposium, 28th – 30th April 2009, Covenant University Ota, Nigeria, pp. 9.
12. Ayangbemi, J. A., I. A. Adeniyi, A. O. Eni and S. N. Chinedu. (2009) Optimization of cellulolytic microfungi for bioremediation and waste management. In: Proc. 1st International Biotechnology Symposium, 28th – 30th April 2009, Covenant University Ota, Nigeria, pp. 36
13. Omonhinmin, A. C., I. P. Dike, P. C. Ekenna, E. F. Adebiyi, S. N. Chinedu, O. O. Omotosho and A.O. Eni. (2009). In-silico prediction and analyses of anti-fungal PR-5 thaumatin-like proteins in Thaumatococcus daniellii. In: Proc. 1st International Biotechnology Symposium, 28th – 30th April 2009, Covenant University Ota, Nigeria, pp. 28
14. Eni, A. O., J. d’A. Hughes, R. Asiedu, R. Bandyopadhyay, P. Lava Kumar and M. E. C. Rey (2007). Incidence and distribution of virus and virus-like diseases on yams (Dioscorea sp.) in the Republic of Benin. In: Proc. 10th International Plant Virus Epidemiology Symposium, 15th - 19th October 2007, ICRIST, Hyderadad, India, pp. 123.
15. Kumar, P. L., J. Mgbechi-Ezeri, A. O. Eni, S. Akinbade, R. Asiedu, A. Dixon, C. Fatokun and R. Bandyopadhyay, (2007). The challenges and potential options for controlling virus diseases of legumes and tuber crops in West Africa, In: Proc. 10th International Plant Virus Epidemiology Symposium, 15th – 19th October 2007, ICRIST, Hyderabad, India, pp. 60.
16. Hughes, J. d’A., A. O. Eni, and M.E.C. Rey (2004). A rapid field immuno-chromatographic assay for certification of yam planting materials. In: Proc. Ninth triennial symposium of the International Society for Tropical Root Crops - Africa Branch, 31st October–5th November 2004, Mombasa, Kenya.