Dr. Charles Iruonagbe
B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D
i. Sociology of Development ii. Rural Sociology/Community Studies iii. Gender Studies/Cultural Studies
Introduction to Sociology; Research Methods; Introduction to Anthropology; Rural Sociology; Sociology of Mass Communication; Inter-group Relations; Urbanization and Labour Migration; Social Change; Sociology of the Third World; Culture and Communication; Sociology of the Aged, Sociology of Development and Contemporary Sociological Theories.
Current Postgraduate Supervision
Supervisor for the M.Sc Project of Obayemi, Joshua on Agricultural Production among Rural Farmers and the Role of Extension Service Agents: A Study of Selected Communities in Odeda L.G.A., Ogun State 2013
Co-Supervisor for the PhD Thesis of Mrs Mercy Ozoya titled: Empowerment of Rural Women and Food Security in Ekpoma Community, Esan West Local Government Area, Edo State, Nigeria
Selected Publications (36)
4. Institute for African Culture and International Understanding. Africa Regional Forum on “Mapping the Diversity and Dynamics of African Cultural Expressions: Implementing a Regional Protection and Promotion Agenda[ Download 249.82 kB ]
17. Colonialism, Social Structure and Class Formation: Implication for Development in Nigeria. In Imhonopi, O.D. &Urim, U.M. (eds.) Panoply of Readings in Social Sciences: Lessons for and from Nigeria.[ Download 174.96 kB ]
2. Iruonagbe, T.C. (2013). “Global Partners in Education Initiative: The Covenant University Experience”. A paper presented at the sixth annual conference of the Global Partners in Education (GPE) held at Krosno State College, Krosno, Poland. May 5-10.
3. Iruonagbe, T.C. (2012). “Higher Education in Africa and the Role of Private Universities: A Focus on Nigeria”. A paper presented at the 10th Annual Conference of Association of African Universities (AAU) on The Role of Private Higher Education in Africa. Addis-Ababa, Ethiopia. August 8-10.
4. Ekeanyanwu, N.T. & Iruonagbe, T.C. (2012). Role of the Media in Education in Nigeria and the Perception of Nigerian Higher Education by Other Countries. Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA. May 11.
5. Iruonagbe, T.C. (2012). Global Partners in Education Conference: Leadership in Education. East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA. May 7-10.
6. Iruonagbe, T.C.; Igbokwe, D.; Komolafe, B. & Anlemi, F. (2012). Institute for African Culture and International Understanding. Africa Regional Forum on “Mapping the Diversity and Dynamics of African Cultural Expressions: Implementing a Regional Protection and Promotion Agenda”. Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta. March 1.
7. Iruonagbe, T.C. (2008) “The Niger Delta Crisis: Challenges and Prospects for Peace and Stability”. International Conference on The Nigerian State, Oil Industry and the Niger Delta. Department of Political Science, Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Bayelsa State. March, 11-13.
8. Iruonagbe, T.C. (2007) “Women and Youth Empowerment: An Antidote to the Niger Delta Crisis”. A Paper Presented at the 7th Annual Conference of the Nigerian Sociological Society on The Niger Delta Crisis and the Most Probable Hypothesis. Sharon Ultimate Hotel, Abuja. Nov., 27-28.
9. Iruonagbe, T.C. & Ajayi, F. (2007) “Revisiting Family Values: A Pathway Towards Societal Stability”. A Paper Presented at the National Conference on Social Values in a Reforming Society. Nigerian Anthropological and Sociological Association (NASA). University of Ibadan, Oyo State, 26th-28th September.
10. Iruonagbe, T.C. & George, T. (2007) “Conflicts and Inter-group Relations in Nigeria; What Way Forward”. A Paper Presented at the International Conference on The Dynamics of Inter-group Relations in Nigeria Since 1960. University of Ibadan, Oyo State, 16th-18th January.
11. Abimbola, O.H., Iruonagbe, T.C. & Jegede, A.E. (2006) “Poverty and Ethnic Militia Activities in the Niger Delta, Nigeria: A Critical Appraisal”. A Paper Presented at the International Conference on Conflict Management and Peace Building in Africa. Delta State University, Abraka, 30th October- 2nd November.
12. Iruonagbe, T.C. & George, T. (2006) “Sustaining the Values and Virtues of Political Participation in the Electioneering Process in Nigeria”. A Paper Presented at the Conference on Values, Virtues and the Crisis of Development. Tai Solarin University of Education, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State, Nigeria, 25-28 April.
13. Iruonagbe, T.C. (2005) “The fear of growing old: Lessons from Nigeria”. A Paper Presented at The International Conference on Human Development, Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria, 27-30 June.
14. Abimbola, O.H., Egbarevba, M.E., Iruonagbe, T.C. (2004). “Globalization and Poverty: The Nigerian Experience”. A Paper Presented at the 10th National Conference on Social Problems and Globalization. Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-ife, Nigeria, 16-17 June.