Dr. obinna Nwinyi
B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D (MIPAN, MNIFST)
Growth studies and Molecular characterization of bacterial isolates associated with biodegradation of poly-nuclear aromatic hydrocarbons in selected polluted soils.
Organic pollutants degradation/ impacts of heavy metals.
Organic and medicinal plant Research
Awards & Honours
2015: Winner: Professor Oyewale Tomori National Prize for Young Scientist in Microbiology in Nigeria
2014/15: Global excellence and stature award, Super post-doctoral fellowship, University of Johannesburg
2011: Top 25 cited Author Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry on paper titled Microwave assisted synthesis and antimicrobial of 2-quinoxalinone-3-hydrazone derivatives
2011: Selected participant: Greening the planet: Global challenges and local solutions Nashville, Tennessee, sponsored by US Department of State
2010: Honorary Citizen of Nebraska: United States of America: Awarded by the Governor of Nebraska
2010: Certificate of Achievement: First place position, Awarded by Director, Office of Academic Exchange Program, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, United States Department of State
2010: Selected participant: Pre-academic Fulbright orientation, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
2010: Selected participant: Global Food Security Seminar Lincoln Nebraska, sponsored by US, Department of State.
2010/11: Fulbright Fellowship Indiana University, Bloomington Indiana, United States of America.
2007/08: Best Lecturer Microbiology 2007/2008 Academic session, Students Voting/Rating
2001/02: Graduate Teaching Assistant Award by University of Lagos, Lagos.
2005: Five million naira Grant on Study on Covenant University sewage treatment plant
1998: President: National Association of Microbiology Students, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka Chapter
1998: Vice-chancellor’s Certificate of Merit as Departmental President/ Treasurer; Committee of Departmental presidents/secretaries Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Nigeria.
Courses Taught at Undergraduate
- BLY 111 Animal Diversity Forms and Functions
- BLY112 Cell Biology
- BLY 213 Basic Biological Techniques
- BLY 214 Introductory Ecology
- MCB 122 Microbial Taxonomy
- MCB 211 General Microbiology
- MCB 221 Microbial Ecology
- MCB 311 Laboratory Practice in Microbiology
- MCB 314 Soil Microbiology and plant pathology
- MCB 315 Analytical Microbiology and Quality Control
- MCB 316 Environmental Microbiology
- MCB 411 Environmental/ Petroleum Microbiology
- MCB 421 Industrial Microbiology
- MCB 422 Fermentation/Substrate –Enzyme Biotechnology
Courses Taught at Postgraduate
- MCB 711 Introduction to Microbiology (Pg.D class)
- MCB 712 Basic techniques in Microbiology (Pg.D class)
- MCB 818 Petroleum Microbiology (M.Sc class)
- MCB 814 Methods in Environmental impact Assessment(M.Sc class)
- MCB 825 Advanced Soil and Plant Microbiology (M.Sc class)
- MCB 823 Advanced Environmental Microbiology (M.Sc class)
- MCB 915 Environmental Biotechnology (Ph.D class)
- MCB 923: Taxonomy, Classification and Algoriths in Bacteriology (Ph.D class)
Current Postgraduate Supervision
Selected Publications (41)
29. Synthesis, physical properties, antimicrobial potentials of some mixed antibiotics complexed with transition metals and their effects on alkaline phosphatase activities of selected rat tissues (2008)[ Download 166.74 kB ] [Visit]
• 2012: 16th Mandatory training workshop of Institute of public analysts of Nigeria Theme: Sampling techniques and Sample analysis.
• 2011: 14th mandatory training workshop of Institute of public analysts of Nigeria Theme: Roles of public analysts towards achievement of the millennium development goals (mdgs) 15th -17th November.
• 2010: Euro- ICT forum Addis Ababa –Ethiopia www. euroafrica-ict.org.sigma-orionis.com/forum2_attendees.php –
• 2010: 11th mandatory training workshop of Institute of public analysts of Nigeria Theme: The use of high precision instruments in laboratory analysis 27th -28th April.
• 2009: 10th Mandatory workshop of Institute of public analysts of Nigeria Theme: Quality Assurance in laboratory management Ikeja Lagos 10th-11th November,
• 2009: Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology Investiture /Conference Yola Adamawa State Nigeria 14th-15th October.
• 2008: International Training Workshop on Molecular Biology and Applied Biotechnology Covenant University Nigeria July 28-August 2.
• 2006: 8th UNAAB Summer course in practical Biotechnology ,University of Agriculture Abeokuta, Nigeria 9th- 20th October
• 2005: Selected participant: Pattern Discovery in Biology International workshop Covenant University, Nigeria .