Dr. Grace Olasehinde
B.Sc.; M.Sc.; Ph.D.
Molecular epidemiology of malaria; Antimalarial drug resistance; Atiplasmodial, antibacterial and antifungal activities of indigenous herbas/extracts
Development of ‘Point of Care’ Diagnostic methods for malaria and Schistosomiasis
Awards & Honours
- Welcome Trust Conference Support to attend and present a paper at the Fourth International Conference of International Society for Computational Biology/African Society for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (ISCB/ASBCB). 8th -14th March, 2015, White Sands Beach Hotel, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Institut Pasteur de Tunis (IPT)/Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and ATCT sponsorship to attend the South-South Symposium and Train the Trainer Course on ‘Applications of Genomics in Public health for Infectious Diseases of Poverty: Diagnostics and Vector Control’ January 23rd- 30th, 2014.
- Best thesis award in the College of Science and Technology, 2010 July, awarded in 2013.
- Conference attendance fellowship to present a paper at the ISCB Conference, Long beach, California, July, 2012.
Epidemiology and Public Health Microbiology
Current Postgraduate Supervision
Annual Conference of Nigeria Society for Experimental Biology (NISEB). 4th -7th April, 2011. Julius Berger Hall, University of Lagos, Nigeria.
` Multilateral Initiative on Malaria/AMANET conference, Kenyatta International Conference Centre, Nairobi, Kenya, Nov. 2009.
Paper Presented: GI Olasehinde, AA Ajayi, SO Taiwo, BT Adekeye, and OA
Adeyeba. Prevalence and Management of falciparum Malaria Among Infants And
Children In Ota, Ogun State, Southwestern Nigeria.
• 2nd International Symposium on Tribal Health, Regional Centre for Tribal Health,
Jabalpur, India, 26th Feb-1st March, 2009.
Paper Presented: Olasehinde G.I and Adeyeba O.A. Prevalence of Malaria
Parasite Infection among childen 0-5years in Ogun State, Southwestern Nigeria.
• Biotech Workshop on Applied Biotechnology and Molecular Biology. 28th July –
2nd August 2008. Applied Biotech Institute, Florida and Covenant University Ota,
• 43 Conference, Nigeria Society for Microbiology, Uthman Danfodio University,
Sokoto, Sokoto State.
Paper Presented: Olasehinde G.I, Akinyanju J.A and Ajayi A.A. Antimicrobial
Activity of Commercial Disinfectants and Naphtholics.
• TWOWS 4th General Assembly and International Conference, Beijing, China 27-30th June 2010
• 1st International Conference, Nigeria Society for Biotechnology, International
Conference Centre, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria.
• 32nd Conference, Science Association of Nigeria, Federal University of
technology, Akure, Nigeria, October, 2006
a) Ajayi A.A. and Olasehinde G.I. Studies on the pH and protein
content of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum mill) fruits deteriorated by
b) M. R. Adedayo, I. G. Olasehinde and A. A. Ajayi. Nutritional
value of some edible mushrooms from Egbe farmland, West Yagba L.G.A.
1. Olasehinde G.I. Effect of Calcium Chloride on viability and fecundity of
Biomphalaria pfeifferi, snail intermediate host of Schistosoma mansoni. Akoka
Journal of Pure and Applied Science Education, 1(2): 45-50, 2000
2. Olasehinde G.I. and Oyerinde J.P.O (2007). Effect of Calcium Chloride on
growth and survival of Biomphalaria pfeifferi, snail intermediate host of
Schistosoma mansoni. Research Journal of Parasitology 2(1):82-86, 2007
3. Olasehinde G.I., Akinyanju J.A. and Ajayi A.A. (2008). Comparative
antimicrobial activity of commercial disinfectants with naphtholics. Research
Journal of Microbiology 3(4):262-268.
4. Ajayi A.A. and Olasehinde G.I. (2009). Studies on the pH and protein content of
tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum mill) fruits deteriorated by Aspergillus niger.
Scientific Research and Essays 4(3):185-187.
5. M. R. Adedayo, I. G. Olasehinde and A. A. Ajayi (2010). Nutritional value of
some edible mushrooms from Egbe farmland, West Yagba Local Government
Area, Kogi State, Nigeria.African Journal of Food Science, 4(5):297- 299.
6. GI Olasehinde, AA Ajayi, SO Taiwo, BT Adekeye, and OA Adeyeba (2010).
Prevalence and management of falciparum malaria among infants and children in Ota, Ogun State, Southwestern Nigeria, African Journal of Clinical and Environmental Microbiology 11(3):159-163.
7. Ajayi A.A, Yah S.C.Olasehinde G.I. and Ayepola O.O (2010). Studies on
Microorganisms Associated with Pre-Harvest Deterioration of Guava (Psidium
guajava Linn) Fruits. Scientific Research and Essays 5(17):2400-2403.
8. Ajayi A. A, Adebiyi M. O, Olasehinde G. I and Olutiola P.O (2010).
Purification of Cellulase obtained from Tomato fruits (Lycopersicon
lycopersicum (L.) Karst) deteriorated by Aspergillus flavus Linn.
International Journal of Basic & Applied
9. Olugbuyiro JO, Olasehinde GI, McLoone P and Oluwadun A. (2011).
Relationship between viable bacterial counts and physicochemical properties of
cocoa powders and powdered cocoa beverages purchased in Nigerian
supermarkets. Researcher, 3(3):46-52.
10. Akinjogunla OJ, Odeyemi AT and Olasehinde GI (2010). Epidemiological
Studies of Urinary tract infection (UTI) among post-menopausal women in Uyo
metropolis, Southsouth Nigeria, Nigeria. Journal of American Science
11. Ajayi A.A., Ubon-Israel N.N. and Olasehinde G.I. (2011). Detection of extracellular
enzymes in microbial isolates from diseased carrot (Daucus caroti)fruits. Int. J. Adv
Biotech. Res. 2(2):244-249.
12. Ajayi A.A., Aina O and Olasehinde G. I. (2011). Extraction and Clarification of
Apple Juice with Polygalacturonase obtained from Apple (Malus domestica) fruits
deteriorated by Aspergillus niger. Int. J. Biol. Chem. Sc. 5(3):1047-1053
13. Ajayi A.A., Tasie I. and Olasehinde G.I. (2011). Studies on Escherichia coli
associated with satchet water sold in Lagos state. International Journal of Biological science 3(3): 42-45
14. Olasehinde, G.I., Ojurongbe, O.O., Yah, S.C., Valecha, N. ,Ajayi, A.A. and Adeyeba, O.A. Genetic Diversity of Plasmodium falciparum field isolates from Ogun State, Southwestern Nigeria. African Health Sciences 12(3): 355-361.
Manuscripts Accepted for Publication
15. Olasehinde, G.I., Ayanda, O.I., Ajayi, A.A. and Nwabueze, A.P. (2012). In-vivo antiplasmodial activity of crude n-hexane and ethanolic extracts of Moringa oleifera (LAM) seeds on Plasmodium berghei. International Journal of Medicinal Plant research ISSN:2169-303X
16.Olasehinde G.I., Ojurongbe O., Valecha N., Ojurongbe O.A., Ajayi A.A., Ayanda I. and Fagade E.O. (2012). In-vitro studies on the sensitivity pattern of Plasmodium falciparum to standard antimalarial drugs and local herbal extracts. Malaria Journal.
17. Ajayi, A.A., Fakunle, J.B., Olutiola, P.O. and Olasehinde G.I. Cellulolytic Enzyme associated with the infection of Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) deteriorated by Aspergillus flavus Linn. Canadian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences.
18. Olasehinde, G.I., Ajayi, A.A. and Adedayo, M.R. (2012). Antimicrobial Activity of Commercial Disinfectants and Naphtholics. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences
19. Ogunlana, O.O. Ogunlana,O. , Ajayi, A.A. Keleko, F.O, and Olasehinde, G.I. Microbiological and Physicochemical properties of Drinking water in Ota, Southwest Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences
20. Olasehinde G.I. (2011). Antimalarial Drug Resistance: In-vitro, Molecular and
epidemiological studies on Plasmodium falciparum. Lambert Academic Publishing. 978-3-8433-7825-3.