Dr Evans Osabuohien
Ph.D, M.Sc, B.Sc
International Economics; Institutional Economics; Land/Agricultural Economics; and Development.
Awards & Honours
- Lecturer of the Year, Nigerian Economics Students Association, April 2016
- Research Project with DTT Farms on Background Study on Rice Production, Processing and Marketing in Ogun State, Nigeria, April 2016
- Innovative Research Grant (with Gitau C. & Efobi U) awarded by African Growth and Development Policy Modelling Consortium (AGRODEP)/International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), USA, April 2015
- Visiting Scholar at The German Development Institute, Bonn, Germany March 28 – April 5, 2015.
- Appointed as an Assessor, African Pathways Doctoral Scholarship Programme, jointly organised by The Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), Senegal /The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS), South Africa, March 2015.
- The Co-ordinator, The collaboration between Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria and German Development Institute, Bonn Germany, February 2015.
- Consultant for United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) Virtual Institute to localise teaching material on Regional Trade Agreements for Nigeria (with 3 others), February 2015.
- Return Fellowship Award, from The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, to conduct research project on ‘Large-scale Land Based Investments and Employment Issues: Comparative Study of Nigeria and Tanzania’, January 2015.
- Travel Grant from the Swedish Institute to attend 2014 Nobel Week Dialogue in Stockholm, Sweden, 9th December 2014
- Travel Grant from German Development Institute to Attend World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty in Washington DC, USA, March 2014.
- Scholarship from The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation to attend German Language Course, November 2013.
- Prize for making the 1st Submission at Russian Summer School in International Analysis (RSSIA), awarded by Higher School of Economics, Moscow Region, Russia July, 2013.
- First Prize, FLACSO-WTO Chairs Award, 2012 Edition (with Efobi, U and Beecroft, I), Caba, Argentina, December 2012.
- Georg Forster Research Fellowship for Postdoctoral Researchers awarded by The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany, July 2012.
- Travel Grant from The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) to Participate at the UNESCO/DAAD-Alumni Conference on Water in Africa, Maseno University, Kenya, October, 2012.
- Grant for participation at 14th Summer Workshop for Young Economists on Trade and the Environment, Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW), Mannheim, Germany, 12-16th October, 2012.
- Research Grant from Global Trade Alert (GTA) to conduct research on “Free Trade versus Protectionism in Africa: The Unending Contradiction” (with 2 others), The Centre for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR), UK, May 2012.
- Travel Grant to Participate as Presenter and Discussant at “International Workshop on Large-scale Land Acquisitions” from the German Institute of Global and Area Studies (GIGA) in Hamburg, Germany, May 2012.
- FLACSO-WTO Chairs Award, 2011 Edition awarded by FLACSO Argentina-WTO Chairs programme for a Honor Mention of Paper.
- Presentation/Appreciation Award by Trade Policy Training Centre in Africa (TRAPCA), Arusha, Tanzania at 4th Trade Policy Research Forum, August 2011.
- Royal Economic Society Conference Grant, awarded by Royal Economic Society for conference support, June, 2011.
- Guest PhD Candidate, Department of Economics, Lund University, Sweden (Fellowship from Swedish Institute under the Guest Scholarship Program), 2009/2010.
- Grant for PhD Thesis Writing awarded by Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), 2009.
- Team Research Team on "Towards Effective Service Delivery of Nigeria’s Primary Education System: the Role of Non-State Actors” from African Economic and Research Consortium (AERC) on Collaborative Research Project on Institutions and Service Delivery in Africa, 2009/2010 (with 3 others).
- Covenant University Centre for Research & Development (CUCERD), PhD Research Grant 2009/2010.
- Travel grant to participate as Presenter and Discussant at Trade Research Forum on “Topical Issues in Trade Policy and Development in LDCs” Organized by Trade Policy Training Centre in Africa (TRAPCA), Arusha, Tanzania, 30th—31st July, 2009.
- Selected Participant at the Africa/Asia /Latin America Collaborative Program International Workshop on “Rethinking Development for the South: Prospects for Africa/Asia /Latin America”, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, 5-6th October, 2007 [not utilized].
- Selected Participant for Workshop on Writing for Scholarly Publishing for Anglophone African Countries, Organized by CODESRIA in conjunction with Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda, Held 17th-21st September, 2007.
- Selected Participant for Methodological Workshop Special Edition for Nigeria, Organized by CODESRIA, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, 30th July-3rd August, 2007.
- Research Grant for M.Sc Thesis awarded by Covenant University, Nigeria, 2006.
- Second Best Graduating Student, Dept of Economics, Faculty of Social Sciences, Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State, Nigeria. 2001/2002 Set.
- Best Student, Niger College, Benin City, Edo State. 1994/1995.
1. Research Project with DTT Farms on Background Study on Rice Production, Processing and Marketing in Ogun State, Nigeria, April 2016.
2. Research Project with IFPRI on Cocoa & Maize Value Chain and Computation of Natural Rate of Protection for Nigeria, April 2016.
Petroleum Economics,Mathematics for Economists,Labour Economics, Introductory Econometrics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics
Current Postgraduate Supervision
Supervising 3 Masters student
Selected Publications (41)
1.Workshop on Decomposing Price Distortions along the Value Chain: Africa Case Studies, organised by IFPRI at IFPRI Headquarters, Washington DC, USA, 23rd -24th May 2016.
2.3rd Covenant University International Conference on African Development Issues (CU-ICADI), Covenant University, Ota, Ogun, Nigeria, 9-11th May 2016.
3.Research Meeting on a Joint Project ‘Agricultural and Rural Transformation in Africa: Revisiting the Evidence and Enhancing Policy’, The German Development Institute, Bonn, Germany 29th March – 1st April 2016.
4.Workshop on Impact Evaluation, organised by IFPRI, IFPRI Headquarters, Washington DC, USA, 7-8th March 2016.
1. Workshop/Training Course on Evaluation of Public Policies, organised by IFPRI/AGRODEP, Dakar, Senegal, 28-30th October 2015.
2.Organised a Panel Session on ‘Agricultural Transformation and Households Livelihood in Nigeria: A Multi-perspective Discourse’ at Nigerian Economic Society (NES) 56th Annual Conference, Abuja, Nigeria, 11- 14th October 2015.
3.10th Anniversary Conference of Poverty, Equity and Growth Network (PEGNet), Berlin, Germany, 8-9th October 2015.
4.Workshop/Training Course on Agricultural Distortions and Value Chain, organised by IFPRI/AGRODEP, Dakar, Senegal, September 1-3, 2015.
5.Organised two (2) workshops on Large-Scale Land Investments in SSA and a Book Launch (Handbook of Research on In-Country Determinants and Implications of Foreign Land Acquisitions) in conjunction with Michael Bruentrup (German Development Institute) at TROPENTAG 2015 Conference, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany, 16-18th September 2015.
6.Organised a Session on ‘From Impressive Growth to Inclusiveness: Large-Scale Land Deals and Households’ Livelihood in SSA’, at the 14th General Assembly of Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), Dakar, Senegal, 8-12th June 2015.
7.2nd Covenant University International Conference on African Development Issues (CU-ICADI), Covenant University, Ota, Ogun, Nigeria, 11th – 13th May 2015.
8.International Conference on Youth Unemployment in Africa, Organised by Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) and The African Institute for Agrarian Studies (AIAS), Holiday Inn Hotel , Harare, Zimbabwe, 26-27th February 2015.
1.The Nobel Week Dialogue 2014, Greater Stockholm, Sweden, 9th December 2014.
2.Inaugural Conference on Land Policy in African, organised by United nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), African Development Bank and African Union Commission, African Union Complex, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 11-14th November, 2014.
3. AgriKulturForum Conference Organised by The Partnership with Africa Foundation, Berlin, Germany, 19th-21st September, 2014.
4. 17th Conference on Global Economic Analysis Organised by GTAP, IFPRI and AGRODEP, Dakar, Senegal, 18-20th June, 2014.
5. Discussion Forum on Transparency and Dynamics of International Land Acquisitions organised by German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA), GIZ House, Berlin, Germany, 22nd May, 2014.
6. World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty, World Bank Building Complex, Washington DC USA, 24-27th March.
7.Workshop on Green and Social: Managing Synergies and Trade-offs, jointly organised by PEGNet and German Development Institute, Bonn, Germany, 12-13th March.
8. International Conference on ‘Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) in Retrospect: Africa’s Development Beyond 2015’, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, January 30 – February 1.
1.Leibniz Institute International Postdoctoral Forum, Berlin, Germany, 7th November.
2.Study Tour of German States, Organised by Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, 12th -24th August.
3.Russian Summer School in International Analysis (RSSIA), organised by Higher School of Economics, Moscow Region, Russia, 29th June -5th July.
4. 17th Annual Conference of International Society of New Institutional Economics (ISNIE), Florence, Italy, 20-22nd June.
5. Policies Against Hunger 2013, Organized by Federal Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection, Berlin, Germany ,10-12th June.
6. Annual Meeting of Humboldt Fellows, Organised by Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Berlin, 5th -7th June
7.Training Course on Impact Evaluation and Analysis of Development Intervention, organised by IFPRI/AGRODEP, Dakar, Senegal, 11-19th May.
8.World Bank e-Learning Course on Golden Growth Restoring the Lustre of the European Economic Model, Organised by World Bank Institute, 1st -26th April.
9.Conference on Fiscal Performance: The Role of Institutions and Politicians, Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW), Mannheim, Germany 11-12th April.
10.Humboldt Network Meeting/Conference Organized by Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Leibniz Universitat, Hannover 20-22nd March.
1. 14th Summer Workshop for Young Economists on Trade and the Environment, Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW), Mannheim, Germany, 12-16th October.
2. UNESCO/DAAD-Alumni Conference on Water in Africa, Maseno University, Kenya, 1st-3rd October.
3. GTA-CEPR-ACET Joint Conference on Analyses of Contemporary Protectionism, Accra, Ghana 19-20th, June.
4. Multi-Method Research Course [Modules 4-5&7], Organised by Partnership for African Social and Governance Research (PASGR), Kenya School of Monetary Studies, Nairobi, Kenya, 24th May -2nd June,
5. International Workshop on Large-scale Land Acquisitions, Organised by the German Institute of Global and Area Studies (GIGA), Hamburg, Germany, 11th May.
6. Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Executive Seminar on Financial Sector Development, Economic Growth and the Nigerian Economy, Organised by Research and Human Resource Departments CBN, Eko Hotel and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos, 7-9th May.
7. Multi-Method Research Course [Modules 3&6] by Partnership for African Social and Governance Research (PASGR), Kenya School of Monetary Studies, Nairobi, Kenya, 12th-19th March
1. United Nations University-Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA) International Conference on Sustainable Development in Africa, University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana 5-8th December.
2. Multi-Method Research Course, Organised by Partnership for African Social and Governance Research (PASGR), Sarova Panafric Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya, 12-19th November.
3. 52nd Annual Conference of Nigerian Economic Society on Planning and the Transformation of the Nigerian Economy, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria,13-15th September.
4. International Conference on Diaspora and Development: Prospect and Implications for Nation States, Indira Gandhi National University, New Delhi, India, 7-8th September.
5. 4th Trade Policy Research Forum 2011, Trade Policy Training Centre in Africa (TRAPCA), Arusha, Tanzania, 8-9th August.
6. African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) Final Workshop on Institutions and Service Delivery in Africa, Nairobi, Kenya 8-9th July.
7. 28th Annual Conference of Nigerian Political Science Association on The State and the Global Economic Crises, Usman Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, Nigeria,19th- 22nd June.
8. Policy Seminar on the 2011 Federal Government Budget, Organised by Nigerian Economic Society (NES) and The Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN), 31st March.
1. Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) Guy Mhone Conference on The Renaissance of African Economies, Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, 20th-21st, December.
2. International Conference on “Economic & Trade Integration among OIC Member Countries: Opportunities and Challenges, Tehran, Iran, 21st -22nd November.
3. International Workshop on The Determinants and Effects of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa, Organised by ISSER, Ghana, and Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany, Busua Beach Resort, Ghana, 26-28 October.
4. World Bank Institute/Trade Policy Training Centre in Africa (TRAPCA) Course on “Standards and Agricultural Trade in Africa”, Arusha, Tanzania, 2nd -6th August.
5. 3rd Trade Policy Research Forum on Trade Policy for Renewed Growth in Africa, TRAPCA, Arusha, Tanzania, 30th -31st July.
1. UNFCCC/ICTSD Forum on Trade and Climate Change during the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP15), Copenhagen, Denmark, 15th December.
2. 5th Nordic Econometric Meeting/28th Arne Ryde Symposium, Lund University, Sweden, 29th-31st October.
3. Workshop in Development Economics, Gothenburg University, Sweden, 1st- 2nd October.
4. 2nd Trade Policy Forum, TRAPCA, Arusha, Tanzania, 30th -31st July.
5. Faculty of Social Sciences Interdisciplinary Discourse Series in Conjunction with Sociology Dept, University of Lagos, Nigeria, 14th -16th April.
6. 1st Annual Learned Conference on Managing the Polity and Economy in an Emerging Democracy: Issues and Perspectives, Crawford University, Nigeria, 23rd -26th March.
7. International Conference/Roundtable on Governance and Development in Africa, Covenant University, Nigeria, 10th -13th March.
1. Poverty Reduction, Equity and Growth Network (PEGNet) Conference 2008, Organized by ISSER, German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), German Technical Cooperation (GTZ), Centre for Policy Analysis (CEPA) Ghana, and Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), La Palm Royal Conference Centre, Accra, Ghana, 11-12th September.
2. 2nd National Conference on Vision 2020, University of Lagos, Nigeria,22nd -23rd April.
3. International Conference on The Nigerian State, The Oil Industry and the Niger Delta, Niger Delta University with University of Missouri , Kansas City, USA, at Glory Land Cultural Centre Yenagoa, Nigeria,11th-14th March.
1. 3rd Nigerian Society for Financial Research Annual Conference, Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba-Akoko, Nigeria. 20th -23rd November.
2. Workshop on Writing for Scholarly Publishing, Makerere University, Uganda, Organized by CODESRIA, 17th-21st September.
3. Methodological Workshop Special Edition for Nigeria, Organized by CODESRIA, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, 30th July-3rd August.
4. 26th Annual Conference of The Nigerian Political Science Association (NPSA), Bayero University Kano, Nigeria, 21-24th August.
5.National Conference on Socio-Economic Reforms and Nigeria’s Financial System, University of Lagos, Nigeria, 3rd-4th April.
Annual Conference of IRDI Management and Social Science Forum, University of Calabar, Nigeria, 28th -29th June.
1.14th General Assembly of the Social Science Academy of Nigeria (SSAN), Pioneer Hotels, Wuse Zone 4, Abuja, 8th-11th August.
2. International Conference on Human Development, Covenant University, Nigeria, 27th -30th June.
3. African Society of Financial Development National Conference on Informal Financial Sector and Sustainable Development in Nigeria, University of Ado-Ekiti, Nigeria. 8th -10th, June.