Dr. Alexander Adesina Willoughby
B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.
Research Field & Other Areas of Interest
i Solar Radiation/Meteorological Parameters
- Radiometer measurements and analysis of surface radiation fluxes: Global, Direct and Diffuse radiation.
- Measurements of atmospheric pressure, temperature, relative humidity, wind speed and direction.
- Measurements of aerosol optical depth using a Cimel multi-tracking sunphotometer as well as a Solar Light Microtops II sunphotometer.
ii Atmospheric /Ionospheric Physics
- Analysis of tropospheric radio refractive index and water vapour profiles from radiosonde data.
- Measurements and analysis of ionosonde data from equatorial stations to evaluate International Reference Ionosphere (IRI) model parameters.
iii Typical Solar Photovoltaicprojects undertaken
- Standalone PV/petrol generator hybrid power supply for a village home. Components: 4x80Wp Kyocera modules, 2x120Ah deep cycle batteries, charge controller and 1.5KVA inverter.
- Automatic twilight security lighting system for an estate.
- 1kW Solar PV power for a remote farm house.
iv Ongoing research involvement
- Optimising performance of standalone photovoltaic system by considering implementation of Fresnel lens solar concentrators for a M.Sc. thesis – see below.
- Solar irradiation assessment at Covenant University for implementation of Photovoltaic systems
- Investigation of the temporal and seasonal effects of atmospheric conditions on the performance of Photovoltaic modules in Southwest Nigeria
v Electronics Projects (Developed for Commercial production)
- 12/24 V PWM Solar Charge Controller (TL494)
- Resistive load Photovoltaic I-V Curve Tracer (555 timer & 4017 decade counter)
- 12 V-230 V dc-ac Square wave Inverter (SG3524)
- Automatic Voltage Switcher (AVS) protector for domestic/industrial appliance (LM393 & CD4538).
- 12 V Lead Acid Battery Charger (LM317, LM741 & TIP3055).
- 200 W Studio Power Amplifier (Power Mosfets)
Solid State Physics
Thin film Technology
Measurement & Instrumentation
Programmable Logic Controllers
Renewable Energy: Wind, Bioenergy, Solar PV, Hydro Power
Current Postgraduate Supervision
Selected Publications (5)
National Conference of the Nigerian Union of Radio science, Olabisi Onabanjo university, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State, Nigeria, November 2012
IEEE International Conference on Space Science and Communication (IconSpace), 1-3 July 2013, Melaka, Malaysia, pp 149-154.