Dr Onipede Wusu
Ag. HOD of the Department of Sociology
B.Sc., M. Sc. (LASU), M.Sc. PhD. (Ibadan)
Social Demography, Sexual and Reproductive Health Behavior and Poverty.
Awards & Honours
2009 Winner of the fourth Professor Olikoye Ransome-Kuti Research Fellowship offered by the Women’s Health and Action Research Center (WHARC), Benin City, Nigeria.
2009 International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP) grant to attend the 26th International population conference at Marrakech, Morocco.
2008 Bill and Melinda Gate Foundation Support for Reproductive Health Project in Nigeria (anchored by the Obafemi Awolowo University and University of Ibadan) grant to attend the Investing in Young People’ Health and Development: Research that Improves Policies and Programs at Abuja, Nigeria.
2007 Union of African Population Studies (UAPS) grants to attend its 5th International Conference at Arusha, Tanzania.
2005 International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP) grant to attend the 25th International population conference at Tours, France.
2004 Laureate at the 2004 Session of the CODESRIA Gender Institute, Dakar, Senegal.
1998 Best Master student in the department of Geography and Planning, Lagos State University, Nigeria.
1992 Best graduating student in the Faculty of Social Sciences, Lagos State University.
1. Soc 112 Elements of scientific thought and method I
2. Soc 113 Elements of scientific thought and method II
3. Soc 203 Social Statistics
4. Soc 205 Elements of Social Change I
5. Soc 206 Elements of Social Change II
6. Soc 301 Methods of Social Research I
7. Soc 302 Methods of Social Research II
8. Soc 317 Sociology of Urban Life
9. Soc 403 Methods and Materials of Demography
10. Soc 411 Sociology of Third World
11. Soc 413 Applied Demography: Population and Development
12. DSS 111 Introduction to Population Studies
13. DSS 211 Introduction to Demographic Techniques
14. DSS 311 Introduction to Data Evaluation I
15. DSS 312 Sources and Nature of Social Statistics Data
16. DSS 325 Statistical Analysis in Social Sciences
17. DSS 422 Population Trends and Policy
18. CBS 121 Statistics for Business and Social Sciences I
1. Soc 802 Research Methods in Sociology
2. Soc 803 Advanced Quantitative Techniques
3. Soc 321: Statistics for Behavioral Sciences
4. Soc 821 Demographic Techniques
5. Soc 823 Demographic Aspects of Socio-economic Development
6. MSW 853 Comparative Health Care Delivery
7. MSW 869 Dynamics of Nigerian Family System
8. MSW 867 Social Work in Health Care
9. MSW 864 Dynamics of Health and Illness
10. PSW 701 Introduction to Research Methods
11. PSW 705 Introduction to Population Studies
12. MPA 802 Quantitative research methods
Current Postgraduate Supervision
2. I co-supervise Akanbi, Moses (a PhD student in Demography & Social Statistics, Covenant University)
3. I co-supervise Amusan, T. (an MSc student in Sociology, Covenant University)
Wusu, Onipede .2010. Correlates of Fertility in a Low Contraception Setting: A Study of Ogu of South Western Nigeria. Being a paper presented at the Nigerian Anthropological and Sociological Association (NASA) National Conference, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State (6th to 8th April, 2010).
Wusu, Onipede .2009. Change in Sexual Behaviour among Undergraduates in Lagos Metropolis, Nigeria: The Role of Voluntary Counseling and Testing. Being a poster presented at the 26th International Population Conference of the IUSSP, Marrakech, Morocco, 27th September to 2nd October, 2009.
Wusu, Onipede .2009. In-Decisive Population Policy and Socioeconomic Development: The Nigerian Experience. Being a paper presented at the 3rd Annual Faculty of Social Science Conference on Nigeria: Towards Stability and Consolidation, 24th to 25th of March, 2009.
Wusu, Onipede .2008. Effects of Mass Media and Internet Utilization on Sexual Behavior of Young People: A Study of Young Single Undergraduates in LASU. Being a paper presented at the Bill and Melinda Gate’s 2008 International Youth Conference (Investing in Young People’s Health and Development: Research that Improves Policies and Programs), Abuja, 27th – 30th , April, 2008.
Wusu, Onipede and Isiugo-Abanihe C. Uche .2007. Understanding Sexual Negotiation between Marital Partners: A study of Ogu Families, South-western Nigeria. Being a paper presented at the 5th African Population Conference, Arusha, Tanzania (10th – 14th December, 2007).
Wusu, Onipede .2007. Do Societal Values Count in Young People Sexual Health Behavior in Nigeria? Being a paper presented at the Nigerian Anthropological and Sociological Association (NASA) National Conference, University of Ibadan (September 26-27, 2007).
Wusu, Onipede and Isiugo-Abanihe, C. Uche .2005. Changing Family Structure and Childbearing: Implication for Male Fertility Behavior among the Ogu, Southwestern Nigeria. Being a paper presented at the IUSSP 25th International Population Conference, Tours, France (July 18th - 23rd, 2005).
Wusu, Onipede .2005. Interface of Fertility Rate and Household Poverty in Nigeria. Being a paper presented at the International Conference on Human Development, Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria (June 27 – 30, 2005).
Wusu, Onipede .2004. Changing Gender Roles and Care in the Family: Implications for Youth Sexual Behaviour in Badagry, South-western Nigeria. Being the Research Paper Presented at 2004 Session of the Council for the Development of Social Research in Africa (CODESRIA)’s Gender Institute, Dakar, Senegal (June17 - July14).
Wusu, Onipede .2003. Elements of Writing Research Project: An Overview. Being a seminar paper presented at the methodological seminar organized for the post-graduate students of the Centre for Planning Studies, Lagos State University, Ojo, Lagos, Nigeria (30th of November, 2003).
Wusu Onipede .2001. Household Decision-Making and Fertility Transition in the Ojo District of Lagos State. Being a paper presented at the Population Association of Nigeria 10th Annual Conference, Held at the University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos, Nigeria (October 14-17, 2001).
Wusu, Onipede .2001. Population Data Acquisition, Analysis and Development Planning In Nigeria: A Lesson for 2002 Census. Being a paper presented at the Nigerian Geographical Association 44th Annual Conference, Held at the University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria (July 29- August 2, 2001).
Wusu, Onipede .1999. Analysis of Rural-Urban Differential in Use of Contraceptive: A Study of Ojo Local Government Area of Lagos State, Nigeria. Being a paper presented at the Nigerian Geographical Association 42nd Annual Conference, Held at the Ogun State University, Agowoye, Ogun State, Nigeria (16th – 20th, 1999).