Phytochemical, Enzymatic and Ionic Properties of Leaves and Root of selected cultivars
Goals/Objectives of Project
- To collect Cassava varieties in selected areas in Nigeria and assess their utilization as leafy vegetable.
- To determine the comparative concentrations of some heavy metals such as a lead, iron, zinc, manganese, cadmium, chromium and arsenic in cassava leaves and tubers from different species within South-Western states.
- To determine the comparative anti-nutritional and nutritional values for ash, fibre, moisture, protein, lipid and carbohydrate contents of cassava leaves in different species within the South Western states.
- To determine in-vitro and in vivo anti-oxidant activities of the processed and the unprocessed cassava leaves.
- To assess the diversity among the collected accessions in Nigeria using morphology and monocular markers (SSR/BGS) to assist in breeding efforts.
- To characterize the roots as starches of different varieties.
List of Researchers
- Prof. O.O. Ogunlana
- Prof. L.O. Egwari
- Dr. J.O. Popoola
Contact Details of Facilitators
- Covenant University Centre for Research, Innovation & Discovery (CUCRID)
- Department of Biological Sciences