Dr OPEYEMI ESTHER AKINYEMI
Lecturer II/Research Fellow
Ph.D, MSc., BSc. (Economics)
Energy Economics (Energy Policy and Environmental Management)
Awards & Honours
1. 2019 Africa Guest Researcher Scholarship Award, Nordic Africa Institute (Nordiska Afrikainstitutet), Uppsala, Sweden, March 2019; for research on Energy Sustainability, Green Growth and the Sustainable Development Agenda in Sub-Saharan Africa.
2. Research grant from ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency to conduct research on “Household Energy Expenditures and Income Groups: A Gender Analysis from Nigeria” (with Efobi Uchenna), 2016
3. Research grant of $30,000 from Uongozi Institute (Institute of African Leadership for Sustainable Development) to conduct research on “Green Industrialization in Nigeria and Ghana: Extents and Impact from a Quasi-Experiment” (with 5 others), 2017
4. Travel grant and stipend from the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) to attend the 2018 African Economic Conference, Kigali, Rwanda 3-5 December, 2018.
5. Travel grant and stipend from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to attend the 2nd ECOWAS Sustainable Energy Forum, Dakar, Senegal 13-15 November, 2018.
6. Travel grant and stipend from the German Development Institute to attend the German Development Institute, Green Growth Knowledge Platform and GIZ Conference, Bonn, Germany June 18-19, 2018.
7. Travel grant and stipend from the Africa Development Bank to attend the 2016 African Economic Conference, Abuja, Nigeria 5-7 December, 2016.
8. Travel grant and stipend from the Global Development Network to attend the 15th Annual Global Development Conference, Accra, Ghana 18-20 June, 2014.
9. Travel grant and stipend from the Trade Policy Training Center in Africa to attend the 10th Annual TRAPCA Conference, Arusha, Tanzania 19-20 November, 2015.
10. Research grant for Ph. D thesis from Covenant University Centre for Research and Development, 2015.
11. Best graduating student (Masters Class), Department of Economics, Covenant University, Ota. 2012
Theories of Growth and Development
Theory and Principles of Macroeconomics and Microeconomics
Mathematics for Economists
Selected Publications (9)
2. 2018 African Economic Conference titled “Regional and Continental Integration for Africa’s Development” held December 3-5, 2018 at Kigali Marriot Hotel, Kigali, Rwanda. Presented paper titled “Regional Integration and Energy Sustainability in Africa: Exploring the Challenges and Prospects for ECOWAS”.
3. 2018 ECOWAS Sustainable Energy Forum titled “Achieving Sustainable Energy Targets in the ECOWAS” held November 13-15, 2018 at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar, Senegal. Participant and Poster Presenter of paper titled “Determinants of Household Energy Expenditures: A Gender Analysis from Nigeria”
4. 2nd Covenant University International Conference on Entrepreneurship (CU-ICE) titled “Cultivating Entrepreneurial Capacities in the Knowledge Economy” held June 13-15, 2018 at Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria. Member, Local Conference Organising Committee
5. 58th Nigerian Economic Society (NES) Annual Conference titled “Imperatives of Industrialisation in Nigeria” held September 26-28, 2017 at Nicon Luxury Hotel, Abuja, Nigeria. Presented was titled “Industrialisation and Fuel Subsidy Removal in Nigeria: The Manufacturing Industry Experience”.
6. 1st Covenant University International Conference on Entrepreneurship (CU-ICE) titled “Entrepreneurship and the Knowledge Economy” held June 12-14, 2017 at Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria. Member, Conference Organising Committee
7. 2016 African Economic Conference titled “Feeding Africa: Towards Agro-Allied Industrialization for Inclusive Growth” held December 5-7, 2016 at Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja, Nigeria. Presented Paper titled “Agricultural Sector Performance and Nigeria’s Fuel Subsidy Removal: A CGE Simulation”.
8. 19th Annual Conference on Global Economic Analysis titled “Analytical Foundations for Cooperation in a Multipolar World” held June 15-17, 2016 at The World Bank, Washington DC, USA. Presented Paper titled “Energy Pricing Policy and Environmental Quality in Nigeria: A CGE Approach”.
9. 1st Nigeria Energy Forum titled “Sustainable Energy for all Nigerians: Grand Challenges, Big Opportunities” held April 12-13, 2016 at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria. Paper Presented was titled “Household Energy Expenditure and Income Groups: A Gender Analysis from Nigeria”.
10. 10th TRAPCA Annual Trade Conference titled “Energy as a Determinant of Competitiveness” held November 19-20, 2015 at ESAMI, Arusha, Tanzania. Paper Presented was titled “Energy Security, Trade and the Transition to Green Economy in Africa”.
11. 2nd Covenant University-International Conference on African Development Issues (CU-ICADI) titled “Biotechnology, ICT, Materials and Renewable Energy: Potential Catalyst for African Development held May 11-13, 2015 at African Leadership Development Centre, Covenant University, Ota. Paper Presented was titled “Energy Security and the Green Growth Agenda in Africa: Synergies and Trade-offs”.
12. 15th Global Development Network (GDN) Conference titled “Structural Transformation in Africa and Beyond” held June 18-20th, 2014 at the Accra International Conference Centre, Accra, Ghana. Participant and Poster Exhibitor of paper titled “An Appraisal of the Environmental Implications of Fuel Subsidy in Nigeria”.
13. 1st Covenant University International Conference on African Development Issues titled “Rising Opportunity for Investor’s in Africa and the Prospect of an Economic Miracle” held May 5-6th, 2014 at the African Leadership Development Centre, Covenant University, Canaanland, Ota.
14. 7th Annual NAEE/IAEE (Nigerian Association for Energy Economics/International Association for Energy Economics) International Conference on “Energy Access for Economic Development: Policy, Institutional Frameworks and Strategic Options” at Sheraton Hotel, Abuja. 16th – 18th, 2014. Paper Presented: Akinyemi, O., Ogundipe, A. and Alege, P. (2014), “Energy Supply and Climate Change in Nigeria”.
15. National Model United Nations (NMUN) Conference, Sheraton New York and United Nations Building New York, USA, 17th – 21st March, 2013. German delegate on the Model United Nations (UN) Security Council Committee for Peace and Security.
16. Nigerian Economic Society 52nd Annual Conference on “Planning and the Transformation of the Nigerian Economy” at Covenant University, Ota. 13th – 15th September, 2011.