Professor of Plant Biotechnology Olawole Obembe
B.Sc., M.Sc. (O.A.U, Ile-Ife, Nigeria), Ph.D (Wageningen University, The Netherlands)
His research interest include ethnopharmacology, in vitro conservation and micro-propagation of endangered (medicinal) plants, production of bio-pharmaceutics and industrial proteins in plants, quantitative trait loci analysis and genome-wide association studies.
Awards & Honours
Special awards received by Prof. Obembe include Covenant University' Chancellor's Award for Academic Excellence for publishing in High Impact Factor Journals (2010-2012), Postdoctoral Research Fellowship of the International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), Trieste Italy (2008-2009), TWAS-DBT Postdoctoral Fellow of the Third World Academy of Science, Trieste Italy (2008, Not honoured). Ph.D Research Grant of the Laboratory of Plant Breeding, Wageningen University, the Netherlands (2004-2006), Ph.D Research Fellowship of The Netherlands Foundation for the Advancement of Tropical Research (WOTRO) (2001-2004), and Visiting Research Fellowship of the International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan Nigeria (1998-2001).
His teaching areas include plant physiology, cell biology, molecular biology, molecular genetics, recombinant DNA technology, forensic science, bioinformatics and functional genomics.
Current Postgraduate Supervision
Selected Publications (36)
2. O.O. Obembe, A. Adesoye, M. Kadiri, and J. Machuka (2000). The role of antibiotics in the control of Agrobacterium and as potential selective agents in Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of cowpea. Page 19 in Abstracts, World Cowpea Research Conference III, 4–7 September 2000, Ibadan, Nigeria. 32 p.
3. O.O. Obembe, M. Kadiri, and J. Machuka (2000). Induction of multiple shoots and regeneration from cotyledonary nodes and epicotyls. Page 20 in Abstracts, World Cowpea Research Conference III, 4–7 September 2000, Ibadan, Nigeria. 32 p.
4. O.O. Obembe, Carolina Cifuentes, Dirkjan Huigen, Henk Kieft, Evert Jacobsen, Anne Mie C. Emons, Richard Visser and Jean-Paul Vincken (2005). Deposition of cellulose in cell corners by defective cellulose synthase complexes. Page 7 in Abstracts, the 2nd Cell Wall biosynthesis Meeting, August 4 – 7, 2005 Pacific Grove, CA, USA, 104p.
5. O.O. Obembe, L Trindade, E Jacobsen, J Timmers, H Gilbert, A Blake, P Knox, RGF Visser, J-P Vincken (2007). Tandem carbohydrate-binding modules alter cell wall structure and development in transgenic tobacco plants. Presented at the XIth Cell Wall Meeting, 12-17 August 2007, Copenhagen, Denmark.
6. Obembe O.O. (2008). Molecular Genetic Analysis and phenotype characterization of the progeny of two antisense potato plants. 21st Annual Conference of the Biotechnology Society of Nigeria, 16–19 July 2008, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (UNAAB), Nigeria.
7. Obembe O.O. (2008). Additive cellulose reduction observed in the progeny of the crosses of two antisense potato plants. 21st Annual Conference of the Biotechnology Society of Nigeria, 16–19 July 2008, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (UNAAB), Nigeria.
8. Adebayo AH, Obembe OO, Dike EJ, Ajayi AA, Ogunlana OO and Adebiyi EF (2008). Tracking lead compounds in African species of Commiphora. 16th Annual
International Conference Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology, 19-23 July 2008, Metro Toronto Convention Centre (South Building) Toronto, Canada.
9. Obembe O.O. and I.P. Dike (2009). India’s biotechnology boom: A lesson for Africa. Presented at the 3rd Knowledge Management Africa 2009 Conference, 4-7 May, 2009, Dakar, Senegal.
10. Egbamuno E, Ayanda I.O., Obembe O.O. (2011). Agrobiotechnology and Food Security in Africa: Cowpea as a case study. Presented at the 3rd International Biotechnology symposium, 12- 14 April, 2011, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria.